Ask me anything
"Previously, researchers had misidentified skeletons as male simply because they were buried with their swords and shields. By studying osteological signs of gender within the bones themselves, researchers discovered that approximately half of the remains were actually female warriors, given a proper burial with their weapons."
Sorry to piss on your bonfire, but: http://www.missedinhistory.com/blog/raining-on-your-parade-about-those-women-viking-warriors/
I absolutely cannot wait for autumn.
Anna Sui Fall/Winter 2013 Ready-to-Wear
SO ANGER, MOM WHY DO NOT UNDERSTANDS! JUTS STAY OUT OF A ROOM AND LET ME ROCK A ROLLS! GOSH
So the big ‘I’m honestly not brewing a wit because withinthewalls reminded me that they’re awesome and I have to brew something summery for a wedding and this would be a brilliant idea’ brew is underway!
Rosemary Lemon Witbier
50% Torrified Wheat (1.71kg)
45% Maris Otter (1.56kg)
5% Rolled Oats (170g)
Protein Rest @ 50c - 30 mins
Sacch Rest @ 65c - 60 mins
First Wort Hops reused as 60 mins addition - 13g Ahtanum (4.5% AA, 10IBU or so)
Steeping hops @ 75c - 20g Ahtanum (4.5% AA, 6IBUish)
Seasoning at 5 mins, allowed to steep during cooling:
1 sprig of Rosemary (approx 7cm) - weight approx. 4g
Zest of 2 lemons
Yeast: Safale T-58
So that rather sexy picture of some spackle-mix porridge is a lovely 50 Celsius Protein Rest - left for 30 minutes while @lakeandtreeandme and I went for a quick vegan hunting expedition (forage) for plants in the nearby park. We found some nice things, but they’re not going in this beer (a garlic mustard wit? Doesn’t sound too great to me…)
Missed my main mash temp by 3 Celsius so I moved 1litre of water across from the sparge as a quick ‘boiling water temp infusion’ to bring the mash back up to the desired 65 degrees. We’re aiming for a medium body here, not a sweet, cloying wit so 62 is just not on at all, it was a very naughty mash indeed… however, seems to have gone ok after that; received about 18l of 1.044 wort from the Gods of Amylase for my trouble. That’s a mash efficiency of about 74%, so not too shabby.
During the sparge we nipped to the shop and bought some veg to add to our foraged wares, while the FWH steeped in the first runnings. The Ahtanum was transferred along with the wort to the boiler, as usual in my process (I basically always FWH then reuse as a 60 min addition).
While the boil got underway I zested some lemons, bruised the rosemary up a little in a pestle and mortar, and threw them in at the 5 minute mark, before adding the flame out addition to the wort once it got down to about 75C. Cue a 45 minute steep, during which I found some lemongrass that needed using so I chucked that in too, before the chilling was allowed to complete and final gravity readings were taken.
We have a new record! Instead of 15l of wort at 1.047, I had 15l of 1.052 - adding just shy of 2l of water *ahem brewing liquor* took me to 17l of 1.046/7 (whatever) wort - so that put me up a full 9% in efficiency. 74%! Seems that super slow sparge really helped.